For the 19th consecutive year, recipients of scholarships given to children of The Bellevue Hospital’s (TBH) employees were announced during National Hospital Week, May 10-16, 2020. The Robert Regula Employee Children’s Scholarship Program honored 10 high school and college students this year.
“The scholarships began as a way of investing in the future of healthcare and of providing an additional benefit for our employees,” said Michael K. Winthrop, president and CEO of The Bellevue Hospital. “We are pleased to again offer the scholarships to a deserving group of individuals,” Winthrop added.
TBH awards $1,500 scholarships to eligible dependents of its full or part time employees who have worked at least two consecutive years at the hospital. The students are to be enrolled in post high school academic programs, with a minimum of three of the scholarships reserved for students in healthcare-related fields of study.
Students must submit an application for the scholarship prior to March 31. The Scholarship Committee then meets to select the finalists for the award, and the recipients are announced during National Hospital Week. This year’s recipients are as follows:
- Madison Aichholz, Nursing, Bowling Green State University, daughter of Lisa Aichholz, Family Health Services, New Washington.
- Megan Brugnone, Occupational Therapy, Cleveland State University, daughter of LeAnn Brugnone, Cardiopulmonary, and Bill Brugnone, Bellevue.
- Molly Bullion, Biochemistry, Malone University, daughter of Denise Bullion, Cardiac Rehabilitation, and Eric Bullion, Bellevue.
- Paige Collier, Doctor of Physical Therapy, Marshall University, daughter of Laura Collier, Health Information Technology/Telecommunications, Fremont.
- Brian Kistler, Doctor of Medicine, University of Toledo, son of Sue Kistler, Infection Prevention, and Paul Kistler, Monroeville.
- Katherine Koch, Biology, University of Toledo, daughter of Amy Koch, formerly of Emergency Department, and Kenneth Koch, Sandusky.
- Danica Lombardi, Occupational Therapy, Xavier University, daughter of Tony Lombardi, Rehabilitation Services, and Amy Lombardi, Milan.
- Jacob Lombardi, Electrical Engineering, University of Toledo, son of Tony Lombardi, Rehabilitation Services, and Amy Lombardi, Milan.
- Halle Schoen, Speech and Hearing, Cleveland State University, daughter of Marc Schoen, Diagnostic Imaging and Marianne Schoen, Revenue Cycle, Bellevue.
- Hannah Seamon, Nursing, University of Findlay, daughter of Jennifer Seamon, Surgery, Bellevue.
The Bellevue Hospital Foundation also awards Volunteer Scholarships, given to seniors who volunteer over 100 hours to The Bellevue Hospital during their final year in high school. Scholarship recipients must volunteer at least two years total during their high school career. This year, two students were chosen to receive a $1,000 Foundation Volunteer Scholarship each:
- Sierra Hatlay, Chemical Engineering, University of Akron, daughter of Chris and Jaime Barnier, Bellevue.
- Cassandra Leibengood, Marketing, Malone University, daughter of Troy and Cindy Leibengood, Clyde.
Photos of this year's scholarship winners may be found on The Bellevue Hospital Foundation website.